Friday, December 5, 2008

Feeling an Itch

It was 9 degrees last night while I was driving home from Boulder. 9 degrees. The roads were rich with ice and snow. My morning commute yesterday took 2 hours and 20 minutes. The high temp was 23. Tomorrow it will be 59 degrees. Last Sunday it was 69 degrees. This place has some fucked up weather.

I went to Portland a couple of weeks ago. I flew in on a Friday morning. I sat down on the train and waited for it to depart. Another train pulled into the port and I watched the people unload. What a mix of folks. Old dudes with stylish facial hair and cool hats. Young people with all sorts of body jewelry and tatoos. Rednecks with lots of plaid and baseball caps. I hadn't seen such a variety of people in a while. Like- since I left Portland. The thing of it was- they all existed together in harmony.

I walked off the train and strolled to Richard's house where i dropped off my crap. I hopped a bus from there and headed downtown. I went to the foodcart row at Stark and fifth. I got the biggestest baddest assinest falaffel sandwich ever. I sat downtown eating my supersandwich and watching people. It was at this point that I almost called to cancel my return flight.

I went down to the Rock Bottom to kiss a little ass of my regional manager- Van. He happens to be buddies with Jamie from Ninkasi, and Jamie happened to be there. We all walked around the brewery and shot the shit. Drinking beers of course.

I hooked up with Spence and he drove me to the old hood where I went for a visit to the old house. Is fucking weird to be in your house while someone else's shit is filling it.

We went out to Lompoc and met up with all sorts of folks. Hit ground kontrol for a while before Zak and I went over to the Green Dragon to meet up with Richard.

Off to Eugene in the morning to see the Ducks game. Tailgating is one of my favorite things to do. Good times.

I love Portland. A lot. I want to get back as soon as I can. I enjoy having new experiences, but it's clearly going to take more than Denver to keep me away from Portland.

I am now doing some brews from start to finish on my own. There will soon be beers on tap that I can call my own. I still love working at the Walnut in Boulder. The commute is long, but it is totally worth it. That place kicks ass. I speak of both the bar and the city.

Thanksgiving is a stupid holiday. Ours was mellow and I am thankful for that.

I am looking forward to getting up to the ski resorts. Heather and Jen went last Monday. Heather got all new boarding gear. New boots, bindings and board. We are actually hooked up with all the apparel. We slowly found good deals on ski clothes over the years. We rarely went to the mountain, so it's all lightly worn and in great shape. I am looking forward to cozy cabins with hot tubs and fireplaces and snowshoeing with Dunkin. I am going to attempt to ski, but my knee is not doing so great- so my outlook is guarded.

I want to roll. I am going to quit this blog and try to talk Heather into going bowling.

No comments: