Friday, August 1, 2008

This Land is My Land

10 States in 7 days. That includes a 2 day 3 night stop in Park City.

I went from coast to motherfukin coast.

Left the new home-base Denver and flew to the A-town where my pops scooped me up after a ride on the MARTA. Hit up El Azteca for loads of white cheese dip before heading over to Tony and Gia's for the night. Typical fun filled booze fueled evening at the Simon's.

Picked up pops on Thursday in the AM and started driving to Arkansas. Upon our arrival at Gramps house, we were informed by Grandpa that he has been experiencing chest pain and dizziness when he over exerts himself. Come to find out, over exert is being defined here as walking at a normal pace. Good thing he told us instead of a body mechanic.

We drug him to the physician kicking and screaming the next morning. He was given a heart monitor to wear and an appt. was made for the following Tuesday. The doc didn't see anything urgently wrong with him. This was Friday.

Saturday night we were calling an ambulance for an unrelated issue. Gramps landed in the critical care unit where they determined his non-heart problem to be no big deal. While we were sitting in the critical care room, me and pops informed the nurse of the heart problem. The nurse watched his heart monitor for a couple of minutes and was disturbed. He said (in a redneck accent) "well I'll be- I don't like this at all. He's throwing every type of arythmia in the textbook".

The nurse calls for a cardiologist on early Sunday morning. The heart doc arrives about noon on Sunday and examines Gramps for about 20 minutes before announcing that he is very concerned. Off to the cath lab for a look see inside the ticker. Major blockage in all but one opening. It was so bad that they called the surgeon in right then. They had to get all the people on his team in on a Sunday night. I wonder how many people had been drinking? They haul him in and do a quadruple bypass right then.

Gramps is doing pretty well I guess. How good can you feel 5 days after being opened up like a tin can. They saw right through that chest bone and peel ya open. They wire your chest shut when they're done, but there's just a bit of soreness going on there.

I drove back to Atlanta solo on Thursday while pops will be staying with Gramps for a week before catching a one way flight back home. Tony picked me up after I dropped off pop's car and we headed over to Charlie Mopps for a much needed beer. White County Arkansas is a dry county ya see. Back to the Simon's for a late night marathon Rock-Band session and a late morning into work for the Geester.

Tony and I are off to the Brick Store for some lunch. If you don't know- the Brick Store is the best pub in the USA. That's right- I haven't been to every pub in the USA, and you've never met any of the major gods. Faith.

I have developed a slightly dangerous driving habit. Boredom has led me to look for new viewpoints. I have started viewing oncoming cars by looking at the reflection from my sunglasses viewed via the rear view mirror. Think about it. Then try it.

Back to Denver tonight and moving into the new duplex tomorrow. My life moves fast. You probably couldn't keep up.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about your gramps but it sounds like you're doing well. Hope to see you guys come Oct.