Thursday, August 7, 2008

Back Online

Life without the internets? In 2008? For me, this was the reality for a while.

I left Atlanta and drove to Arkansas. I have no fancy smartphone to access either the fancy new 3g nor the snail like edge mobile networks. I landed at my grandpas house which happens to be right exactly in the middle of nowhere, USA. He is old. There is no internet connection available.

I end up spending the majority of the trip in the White County Hospital, where there is no available internet connection. After speaking with countless very nice but very redneck people, I finally learned that one can pick up the wireless network from one area of the hospital. I rushed to the "canteen" only to find that while there is in fact a wireless network connection, there is no internet connection.

You may be saying to yourself "what a dumbass, why didn't he just go to a Starbucks"? Well, dumbass, you've obviously never been to Searcy, Arkansas. Starbucks aint everywhere yet.

Back to Atlanta and a quick posting from the Simon house before coming back to Denver and moving into my new duplex with no internet connection. Yes, my neighborhood has an abundance of coffee shops with wifi, but one would be required to get out of bed and go to said wifi hotspot.

After moving all of our crap into our new duplex last Saturday, (thanks for the help Jen and Steve) Scott Perkins made a visit to the new place. Pretty god dang good to see that guy. I look forward to much Skitt time this year. Anyhow- crashed hard Saturday night after much hard work and several well deserved Colorado microbrews.

I awoke Sunday to a bit of grogginess. I didn't last very long on the old dog walk before I was freakin spent. I came home and sat down complaining of general puniness. An hour later I was running roughly the same temperature as my car pulling a mountain pass.

Fever, muscle soreness and joint pain racked me for two days. Man I was out. I kept thinking of the two ticks that I pulled off of myself the previous week in Arkansas. Guess I should have gotten some temporary medical insurance. Doh!

I feel much better today, but still not 100%. At least the fever is gone. Feeling plenty good to go sample some more of that Colorado microbrew tonight.

Comcast showed up yesterday to finally hook up our internet. The tech ran all the cable and hooked up the modem, but he couldn't activate the service. Apparently the comcast software that activates new modems was down nationwide. No new internet for me yesterday.

Finally got hooked up today and spent the afternoon perusing craigslist for jobs. Man I don't wanna sell shit, drive truck or dispatch. Tell you what though; those are the good paying jobs that I am qualified for. Fuck it- I'm not gonna do it.

I'm gonna go find someone in Denver that makes really good beer. Then I'm gonna beg them to teach me how they do it. Yes, I will be their bitch: but I will not be selling shit, driving truck or dispatching. If I cannot find a brewpub that makes what I consider to be a high quality product, then I will solicit Avery for a job. It won't be a fun commute, but at least I wouldn't have to worry about traffic at the times they would likely have me start and finish my shift of doing all the gruntwork. If all these attempts fail, then maybe it's time to start looking at the retail end of things. Whatever it takes, beer industry- here I come. Eventually. It could take a while to sample all of these brewpubs you know.

2 comments:

The Hamzinger said...

If yer begging for a job then yer selling yerself there, dood. So you've already broke that rule...

Good to hear yer all safe & sound. How's that altitude treating you?

Fever said...

Altitude? Is it high here? I have noticed a lot of stoned people.

I have been at altitude since eastern Oregon. Stayed in Park City for a weekend. They're at 7000 feet.

I really am not affected thanks to my massive set of lungs. At least something is massive....