Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Some Days are Better than Others

Today was a good day. No- today was a fantabulous day.

My boss was late this morning; so I had the office to myself for an extra hour. I had a lunch date with a customer who just took over the logistics manager position her company. This womans name is Gayle. The woman that she replaced was also named Gayle. Coincidence? The old Gayle was like a serpent; but more evil. The new Gayle seemed really laid back and pleasant. She is also nice to look at. Yes I am shallow.

I always let the customer choose the restaraunt. They usually go with a casual and fast chain restaraunt near the office. Sometimes they try to impress me by taking me to a pub with good grub. I always tell them not to worry about the cost, but they never choose an expensive restaraunt. Gayle chose an upscale sushi joint in Bridgeport Village. Hell yeah. She turned out to be way cool, and we really enjoyed ourselves. Neither one of us looked at a clock until we got back to the car. Apparently we took a two hour lunch. Gayle was a bit worried about reporting back to her micro-managing boss; but her boss's car was gone when we pulled up to her office. It was a good day.

By the time I got back to my office, my boss had left for the day. Excellent. I opened up my email to find a new message from a guy who looked at my sailboat last week. He had made me an offer and I had made a counter offer. He decided to accept my counter offer. Hell yeah- the sailboat has been sold. It's not a done deal yet. The offer is contingent upon a haulout/survey, but the odds are very good that the deal will go through. I can't believe that the boat sold so fast.

The Jeep has had 2 different aftermarket stereos recently. Both units have been stolen. It has been almost two years since the Jeep has had tunes. The last time the stereo got jacked, the job was pulled off by some methhead. He fucked up my dash as he had no idea how to steal a stereo. I mean- you can get the tools that will neatly and easily pull out the unit for like $5. No no- he couldn't be bothered with that. He ripped out the head unit and damaged the factory wiring harness. Now the speakers weren't wired correctly.

I finally decided to get some tunes going in the dogmobile again. I found a great head unit for $80. I had to cut out the factory wiring harness, which meant hard wiring the new unit. They always say that this type of installation is "not recomended". Now I know why. I spent 3 hours on it yesterday. Stereo no workie. I busted out my Haynes manual and took a look at the wiring schematic. I need another whiskey. Now it's starting to make sense. I came home from work today and fixed my wiring mistakes. Still no workie. I went online and googled "Jeep Infinity Install". I went through a few of the hits and found a chat room transcript where a former installer at Best Buy explained that the power antenna shares a junction with the wire that turns on the factory amp in these systems. He said to hook up the amp connection from the new head unit to the power antenna wire from the Jeep. I had 3 loose wires from the Jeep, so I tried them all. Whadya know- the third one did the trick! Have I told you recently just how amazing the internets is? I mean- c'mon. I was totally ready to drive my disassembled ass car over to the shop tomorrow with my tail between my legs. Then a quick search online has me fixed up in no time. By a pimply faced kid from Nebraska no less. That shit is awesome!

Now that I have toonage in the Jeep again, I am ready for a camping trip this weekend. The boys are going camping. Beers, brats and burning. Lots of fire and lots of booze. It will be a beautiful thing. A sausage party in the woods. I know I'm going to bring at least 2 pounds of sausage.

Life is good. Oh man- life is good. So is sushi.

No comments: