Saturday, February 28, 2009

Best Day Ever

I live in Colorado.

Thursday Feb. 26th was Scott Perkin's birthday. He has a friend in town from Atlanta named Doug. Cool guy- I knew him back in the ATL myself. Scott's good friends have a dude in town straight from Ireland named Owen. Owen, Doug Scott and myself went skiing Friday.

We went up to Winter Park Resort in the AM. Snowing balls. 11 degrees. White out conditions and practically all expert terrain. Only 2 groomed trails on the whole mountain. The rest of it was all bumps- that we couldn't see due to the driving snow and foggy goggles. What a shitty morning. The weather finally broke around 2 PM- when we were devistatingly tired from the morning of hell. We had a quick beer at the mountain and then hit up the Tommyknocker in Idaho Springs on the way home. Shitty skiing but a good time anyhow.

Today- Jeff Winger picked me up at 7 AM. We rolled up to the Loveland Pass and headed over to A-Basin. Blue skies- not a cloud all day. Fresh snow. Great old school ski hill. Live band on "the beach". The beach is a row of cars backed right up to the base of the slopes where people have grills and beer and dogs and lots of good times. You can ski right up the car. It's pretty fantastic.

The mountains were majestic. Some of the most beautiful scenery I've ever seen. The top of the lift is over 12,000 feet high. Freakin awesome. The terrain is wide open and mostly groomed. Steep, but groomed. We killed it. We bombed down those hills all day. I must have gotten 30 runs in before 3 PM.

If you want me to go to Keystone again- you will have to drag me kicking and screaming. The A- Basin is my new home mountain.

Today was epic. I am on such a high from today. Heather just made me go get a beer to calm me down a bit. I am so addicted to skiing it's ridiculous.

My ski gear rocked it this weekend. Whoever thinks they need to spend a lot of money on ski gear is a joker. My skis, bindings, boots, poles, pants, jacket and gloves cost me less than $200 total. And if you don't believe me then I will stab you with my old school pointy skis.

Tomorrow I have to wake up and not go skiing. That totally sucks.

My stupid phone did not come in the mail today. That means that I won't have a cell phone until Monday night. I kinda like that. It's been nice not having a phone.

I gotta go find somebody to talk about skiing with.

No comments: